Reading the Migration Library (RML), a project of Light Factory Publications (LFP) in Canada, and LOATAD in Ghana are inviting Ghanaian writers to participate in a new series of publications that respond to the meaning of diaspora, in Ghana and beyond.
For these publications Ghanaian writers are invited to respond to these and related themes with short creative texts of poetry, essays, fiction, graphic texts, or narrative nonfiction:
- What links Ghanaians in Ghana and Ghanaians in the diaspora, and the wider African diaspora, in this time?
- What compels Ghanaians to leave or stay, today?
- How have the protracted pandemic-related travel restrictions been felt and experienced by families and friends who are separated in the Ghanaian diaspora?
- What is the difference, if any, between migration in the colonial and post-colonial eras and migration today in this decolonising time?
- Can diaspora and migration be reclaimed as decolonial states of being and moving?
- What futurities are imagined for Ghanaian artists and writers in states of migration, diaspora, or return?
Submissions should be:
- Topic: Ghanaian Writing On Migration and Diaspora
- Genre: Creative prose (essays, fiction, graphic texts, narrative nonfiction) or poetry, with or without images/illustrations
- Format: The final chapbook will be up to 24 pages and have a finished size of 106 mm (4.25″) x 141 mm (5.5″). Image suggestions are welcome for the cover (one to three colours) or to accompany the text (black and white).
- Word count: For prose – up to 5000 words. For poetry – up to 18 pages of text with up to 25 lines/page (about 10 words/line).
Three selected manuscripts will be published and authors will receive a fee of $500CAD. Authors will also receive 25 hard copies of their chapbooks from a print edition of 100. Additional copies will be located at LOATAD for in-person exchanges. All titles will be archived on the RML website, at Library & Archives Canada, at LOATAD, and in other libraries and institutions across both countries. The chapbook will be promoted as part of the RTML series at exhibitions, artist book fairs, and literary events in Canada, Ghana, and elsewhere.
To submit and take part in this initiative, complete the form and upload your submission in Word, Doc(x) or PDF format using the following link: https://forms.gle/Tsm55UoKdRAwKWdv9
For your convenience, a provisional publication timeline can be found below (this timeline may be subject to change but, should that be the case, you would be notified duly).
- 30 April, 2021- Deadline for submissions
- 15 May, 2021 – Selected writers will be notified
- 15 June, 2021 – Approval of edited copies
- 30 July, 2021 – Print and digital copies available
In addition to the aforementioned dates, there will be a launch event at LOATAD (and online) to celebrate three new RML/LOATAD publications. More information about this will be made available as soon as possible.
An online information session will be taking place on Sunday, 18 April 2021 at 4 pm GMT. To attend, please register at http://bit.ly/lfploatadinfo.