The Library Of Africa and The African Diaspora (LOATAD) is looking for one Writer/Translator, one Librarian, and one Archivist working in Africa or the Diaspora with bold and informed perspectives on topical issues around African and Diaspora literature, archives, and libraries for a five-month digital residency.
The residency will run from July to November of this year (2021) and will be an opportunity for beginning, emerging, and established professionals in these fields to benefit from LOATAD’s unique resources and community, and network with professionals in related areas:
- Archivists: How do we protect archive materials physically while making them accessible? How do we develop digital archives specific to African collections?
- Librarians: How do we keep books secure while making them accessible? How do we extend library collections beyond the physical confines of buildings?
- Writers/Translators: What is the future of African literatures? How do we continue to write our multiple selves and identities into existence?
Successful residents will be required to do the following over the duration of their residency:
- Write one original blog post a month (five in total) of between 800 and 1200 words on a topic within your area of work (must be in English)
- Meet monthly online as a group
- Deliver one online public workshop on a subject related to your area of work by October 2021
- Help organise and take part in an end-of-residency online symposium in November 2021.
Also, the following are some of the potential benefits that residents can expect from LOATAD:
- A 7-night stay at LOATAD in Ghana to be taken within 2022 (date to be agreed in advance with LOATAD)
- LOATAD membership, including access to our digital database and archive
- An exclusive group talk with a leading African or Diaspora expert in either literature, archives, or libraries.
To apply for this residency opportunity, please complete the form below, and upload a CV and cover letter stating why you want to take part in this residency at the link below: https://forms.gle/GrRekj5yisTkzGS7A
The deadline for submissions is 16 May 2021 at 11.59 pm GMT.